A Global Positioning System or GPS receiver is an instrument which displays the geographical position of the receiver on a map display. This means that, if such a receiver is installed in a car, it will show the car's exact location on a map.
This kind of a tool is extremely beneficial and important to have for a variety of reasons. But before we get into that, let us look at whether your company really needs such a system or not. Here is a small checklist to consider before deciding to purchase this software:
- Do you use a number of vehicles in the line of your work?
- Would you like to know what is going on with your vehicles at all times?
- Would you like to be able to give your customers accurate delivery times?
- Would you like to know if your company vehicles are being misused during off or on duty hours?
- Would you like to know if your employees are over-speeding or otherwise abusing your vehicles?
- Do you want to know about the exact mileage of each vehicle?
- Do you want to be alerted if a vehicle has been stolen? And if that is the case, would you like to know their location right away?
Asking yourself these questions will help you understand whether you really need to have an up-to-date account of all the vehicles within your organization, which are being used by your employees for work and related duties.
Now that you have ascertained that you do need to know the above-mentioned facts, let's look at the various benefits that a vehicle fleet management system coupled with GPS can offer your company:
- You will know where your vehicles are at all times using real-time mapping provided by such systems.
- You can save a lot of fuel by using this system to your advantage, by clocking mileage for personal and work use.
- You can keep a track on when your drivers are taking time off work for all the wrong reasons and can thus, work out their wages accordingly.
- Improve your customer service by providing customers with accurate delivery times. If there are any delays, the software will alert you right away and you can inform your customers about it.
- You can implement a speeding policy and keep a track of whether your drivers are following it or not. Also, keep a track of offenses such as drunken driving and so on.
- In case a driver gets lost, or is new to a route, having this system installed will prove to be for his benefit as well, because he can find or traverse the route effectively.
- This system can be connected with the vehicle's engine diagnostics port and can be programmed to alert you when any problem occurs. It can also alert you after a certain number of miles are clocked on the vehicle so that it can be sent for servicing and maintenance.
- It helps you devise optimized routes which will contribute towards significantly increasing the efficiency of your service delivery.
- It also generates reports of various types which can be used in various stages of planning, budgeting, and management.
With these benefits, you will also see an improvement in the behavior of the staff, especially drivers, because they will know that any violation will be noticed. At the same time, you will also see a marked improvement in their efficiency and promptness regarding their work.
Thus, installing a vehicle fleet management system will greatly enhance your service standards, while also helping to reduce costs and increasing the efficiency of your staff.