Commonly used in automobiles, a keyless remote system works by performing all basic functions of a typical car key without any physical contact with the car, like locking/unlocking of the power door locks remotely even if you are several feet away or inside a building, or turning on/off interior lights, etc.
The functions of a remote keyless system are mainly present on a key fob or built in to the ignition key handle. The buttons on the fob are used for locking and unlocking the doors, or for supporting other car utilities like opening/closing the rear tailgate, windows, etc. The system functions by broadcasting radio waves on a specific frequency, which varies depending upon the country it is used in. For example, most systems in North America and Japan operate on 315 Mhz frequency, while in Europe these systems work on the 433.92 Mhz frequency. However, nowadays advanced keyless systems employ encryption to keep car thieves from intercepting and spoofing the signal. Some discreet flashing lights sounds are used to indicate whether the car is locked or unlocked.
How to Program Keyless Entry Remote?
The key fob emits a particular radio frequency with an assigned, distinct digital identity code which is identified by the car computer. Hence, keyless remote programming is nothing but programming the car computer, not the fob itself. However, here are basic instructions to follow:
- Take all the remotes or key fobs of the vehicle on hand and ensure that all doors, windows, etc., are closed during the procedure.
- Though you need only one remote to enter program mode, all remotes should be programmed at the same time.
- Sit in the car and turn the key to the 'on' position so that the dash lights turn on. Then, within 5 seconds press the lock button for a second or so.
- Turn the key to the 'off' position and again repeat the above step at least 3 times, within 5 seconds of the previous step.
- When you turn the key to 'on' position for the fourth time, press the lock button on the remote; the locks will make a cycling sound but will be unlocked at this point. Now, your system is in programming mode. Ensure that you don't turn the key to the 'off' position.
- After entering programming mode, within 5 seconds press the lock button on the remote for a second or so. This step should be completed within 10 seconds.
- Finally turn off the ignition completely, remove the key, step out of the car and shut the door. The keyless remote is now programmed and should work.
It is important to note that some keyless remotes can only be programmed by the dealership, or a locksmith via a computer.