A folding tent trailer used for recreational purposes, pop up campers are easy for transportation and storage. This camping trailer can be transported easily. It is relatively inexpensive if compared to other recreational vehicles. The following paragraphs would guide you through the process of how to repair pop up campers.
A pop up camper is basically a tent trailer having different components, such as a hard roof, walls (usually made of canvas), trailer framer, and a box.
It is unfurled or opened by first raising the roof. This is done with the help of a winch. Bunks present in the trailer are then pulled out. An attached tent is then opened and pulled over the bunks. Installing support poles for the bunks and entry points for getting inside the tent is the last step.
Most of the repairs related to a pop up camper can be done at home. Everything from sewing the canvas, replacing tires to repairing tears and rips present on the screen/tent can be done without professional help.
Repairing the cable is also easy. It should understood properly so as to make the necessary changes. Crank, pulleys, and cables form the important components of the 'pop up' part of any camper. Let us understand which steps need to be taken if the cable snaps suddenly.
Repairing Cable Damage
- The pop up camper should be lifted by means of a scissor jack. Vice grips and C-clamps are used to clamp the guide rods.
- The next step in the process is to measure distance from the lower part of roof to ground.
- Four 2x4s should be cut to the length of the measured distance. These 2x4s should be placed under the roof in the 4 corners.
- Anti-seize and aerosol lubricants need to be applied to the cranks and cables respectively.
- The damaged pulley should be located during this operation and if the pulley has just slipped, it should be repositioned back.
- A wrench is used for removing damaged pulleys. After installing a new pulley, bolts need to be tightened.
- The pulley that is newly installed should be connected to the distribution box.
- Original fittings of the main assembly tube should be reinstalled, followed by aligning the new cable in the track.
- The last step in the process is to connect the winch to opposite end of cable.
Repairing the Canvas
- A torn canvas can be sewn back with a thread and needle.
- A double stitch is employed in the process of sewing.
- One should select a large needle for sewing. The thread that one chooses to sew must be a thick one.
- The sewing process may harm the tender skin of fingers if a thimble is not used; it can happen while pushing the needle through canvas.
- The canvas is an integral part of the roof. Understanding the different parts and structure of the roof helps in repairing it easily.
- One can try replacing brackets and screws which present at sides of the roof; it solves most of the problems related to roof repair. Most of the time, simply tightening the tuck can help.
The repairing activity for minor problems is presented in the following paragraph.
- Scratches or tears present on the screen of pop up campers are mended by making use of nail polish.
- Clear packing tape is used if the rips and tears are larger. However, the solution of using clear packing tapes is a temporary one.
- Tires used in the construction of pop ups are those with a 12-13 inch size. Older tires need replacement before going for a long trip.
- Lubrication of wheel bearings on a regular helps in keeping the vehicle in a good condition.
All these information would prove to be of great help to those who are interested in RV camping. If any extra help or information is needed, one should consult a professional.