With the spiraling costs of gas, it quite natural that people are looking out for best gas mileage cars of all time. The following article will help you find the right vehicle that suits your pocket.
*MPG – combined/city/highway
Honda CR-Z (automatic, hybrid)
Scion iQ (automatic)
Fiat 500 (manual)
Mitsubishi i-Miev (automatic, electric)
Ford Fiesta SFE FWD (automatic)
Chevrolet Volt (automatic, plug-in hybrid)
Honda Civic Hybrid (automatic)
Volkswagen Golf (manual, diesel)
Nissan Leaf (automatic, electric)
Toyota Prius (automatic, hybrid)
Volkswagen Passat (manual, diesel)
Hyundai Sonata (automatic/ manual)
Small Station Wagon
Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagon (manual, diesel)
Mazda 5 (automatic/manual)
Sport Utility Vehicle
Ford Escape Hybrid FWD (automatic)
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2WD (manual)
Source: EPA Fuel Economy 2012. Rankings based on estimates for combined city and highway fuel economy, weighted according to 55% city and 45% highway.
Information on the Best Mileage Cars
- Toyota Prius: Toyota Prius is one of the top-selling cars in the US market as it is the best fuel-efficient car on the roads. It has enough room for 5 and the best car for those who wish to travel 100 miles per day. It has a 1.5 liter engine, 16 valve VVT-i 4 cylinder engine. It has 110 horsepower and can go 0 to 60 in just 9.8 secs. It gives you a mileage of 51 City/48 Highway.
- Lexus CT 200h: This car has a 1.8-liter, 4 cylinder engine. It gives a speed of 0-64 mpg in 9.8 secs. This car is one that offers you not only luxury, but also gives great fuel efficiency. The mileage offered is 40 mpg on city roads as well as highway.
- Honda Civic Hybrid: After Lexus CT 200h, the best gas mileage cars ever is the Honda Civic Hybrid. It was named Greenopia’s greenest cars of 2010. It has a 1.3 liter, 8-valve, SOHC, i-VTEC® 4-Cylinder engine. It has 110 hp and can go 0-60 in about 11.3 secs. This car is perfect for 5 people and helps you save money on gas as it has electric motors. It offers an MPG of 40 city and 43 highway.
- Honda Insight: This small car is one of the best fuel-efficient cars. This Honda car is 5 seat and available in 3 trims, LX to the EX with Navigation. It has a 1.3 liter, 4-Cylinder engine. It has a city MPG of 40 and 43 at highway.
- Ford Fusion Hybrid: Again a 5 seat car that is available in 1 trim. It has a 2.5 liter, 4-Cylinder engine and is a great fuel-efficient car for Ford fans. Gives an MPG of 41 city and 36 on the highway.
- Lincoln MKZ Hybrid: A close contender to Ford Fusion Hybrid is the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. It has a power-packed engine that gives out 191 hp. The MKZ Hybrid oozes style and class. It offers an MPG of 41 on city roads and 36 on highway.
- Honda CR-Z: This car offers an 1.5-liter 4-cylinder engine with 122 hp. It can reach a speed of 0 to 60 mph in 9.7 secs. The mileage offered is 35 for city roads and 30 on highway.
- Volkswagen Jetta TDI: This car runs on diesel instead of gasoline. It has a 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder TDI clean diesel engine. It has a 140 hp engine and reaches 0 to 60 mph in 8.7 secs. This car offers you a mileage of 30 on city roads and 42 on highway.
- Ford Fiesta: An affordable sedan, Ford Fiesta comes with a 1.6-liter, 4-cylinder, 119 hp engine. It gives a good mileage of 29 on city and 40 on highway.
- Nissan Altima Hybrid: This mid-sized sedan comes at an affordable price. It is a 2.5-liter, 4-cylinder gas engine with hp of 198. It accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in just 7.5 secs. This car has a sporty look and gives a good mileage of 33 on city and highway.
You can speak to your car dealer about your needs and shortlist the best fuel-efficient cars that suit your needs and pocket. When you go in for a car, make sure you consider the long-term fuel efficiency also.