To build your own virtual 3D car, you need to have access to a computer-aided design (CAD) software. Such a software allows you to design a car by adding various features to it. Let us know more about what it takes to build a virtual car.
There are many who are interested in build their own miniature cars with the help of 3D modeling software. Building such a car is one of the best ways to test your designing skills. There are many different software used for building a virtual car. A software like ‘Alias AutoStudio’ allows users to design automobiles. Open source or free software can also be employed for designing. Before you start with the actual process of designing, you should do a thorough research on the car you wish to design. There are many groups and forums on the Internet that might help you to understand how to build a virtual 3D car. Such online groups offer you the platform to interact with designers across the globe.
Professional designers and engineers make use of software programs to improve the design of cars; some of us indulge into designing just for fun. Before you start with the actual process of building a virtual 3D car, prepare hard copies of the design. You may come up with some interesting ideas about car-designing by holding brainstorming sessions with fellow designers. Ideas for improving the design of grills, tires, windshields and other parts of the car can be obtained from such sessions.
A step-by-step procedure for designing a virtual car with a computer-aided design CAD software is presented below.
- For designing a virtual car, you’ll first need an image or a rough sketch to work on. Once you create the hard copies, the CAD software comes into play. A CAD software allows you to edit the design and customize it with the help of different features.
- In the process of editing, the first step is to create an outline of the car. The outline can be traced with the help of ‘line’ tool.
- In the next step, the ‘extrusion’ tool is used to convert the 2-dimensional image into a 3-dimensional one.
- The ‘drawing’ tool, meant for drawing different shapes, should be used to create a cylindrical shape – tire of the car. Four cylindrical shapes would be required to create 4 tires of your virtual car. You will have to adjust the size of these cylindrical shapes by means of the ‘sizing’ tool.
- The ‘cut’ tool allows you to trace the details such as windows, doors, windshield, etc. Once you trace the details, paint them with the ‘color’ tool.
A modeling software like Adobe Photoshop is used for adding different ‘effects’ to a design. However, you can also ‘run’ your virtual cars with the help of computerized simulations. It is also possible to test the car you have designed for aerodynamics; knowledge of an advanced level is needed to use such kind of software. You can make a car lighter and stronger by making necessary changes to its design (prototype).
Building a car online involves the activity of customizing it with the help of options offered by the manufacturer of the car; a car is customized with tools offered by the manufacturer at his website. First, select the model of the car you want to customize. Use the tools that are offered on the website. Specify the color of the car, size of engine and other things which you need to upgrade. By following this procedure you can build a nice, customized car.
Nowadays, 3D modeling software are commonly used for the activity of designing a virtual car. Engineers and designers make use of a myriad of software to improve the design of cars. Choose a software that you find easy to work with and get going with the process of designing.