Unwanted bumper stickers can ruin the image of your car completely. That is why getting rid of them is usually undertaken. How is one supposed to go about this? That is issue that we will be tackling in the following article.
So you buy a sleek shiny new car, all black and suave. And god you love it. Drive it around everyday you do and make sure that it sparkles like a diamond every time you take it out. And then one evening, a week after the car was bought, you come out of the college building to retrieve it and drive it back home, and what do you see? The horror of all horrors! There, right there, is a bumper sticker. Ruining the sophisticated look of the car. The sticker, it must be done away with and fast. But how?
How to remove bumper stickers? No need to panic. There are several bumper sticker removal methods and we will get to those one by one in the following article. So all you do now is? Continue reading the following article for more details.
Ways to Remove Bumper Stickers
Luckily, there are several ways in which bumper stickers can be done away with. In this following section, we will study these in more detail. One important tip that you should follow is to always test a small portion of the sticker to check if there is any damage being done to the car and only when you have ensured that this is not the case should you proceed.
# 1 – The Heat and Blade Method
- Arrange for a hair dryer or a heat gun for this method.
- If you can, let the car sit in the sun for about 30 minutes before you start out. This will help soften the sticker.
- Start out by pointing the hair dryer onto the sticker and starting the heat on low.
- Don’t focus on a single point and keep moving the hair dryer all about.
- Maintain a distance of at least 6 inches between the hair dryer and the sticker (8-12 inches if it is a heat gun).
- After about 5 minutes, the sticker will have heated sufficiently enough and will start peeling.
- Check to see if this is the case by tugging on to the corners of the sticker.
- If the sticker does not budge, then use a blade and very gently lift the corners of the sticker.
- Apply gentle force to pull the sticker in the opposite direction, but never pull it upwards. Roll the sticker to get it out.
- After the sticker has been removed, clean the area with a wet cloth.
# 2 – The Lubricant and Peel Off Method (With Commercial Products)
- Another popular method of taking off bumper stickers is that of using a lubricant to soak the sticker and then get it off. Lubricants can be of two forms – Those that are made from natural products and those that are made from chemicals.
- How to remove bumper stickers with chemical products? When using a chemical product, spray the sticker with the chemical and let the sticker soak in it completely.
- Once it has softened peel off by lifting the corners and pulling in the opposite direction till the sticker is completely off.
# 3 – The Lubricant and Peel Off Method (With Natural Products)
- There are several natural products that can be used to get rid of that sticker.
- Soak the sticker in vinegar or olive oil (In case there is paint under the bumper) and let it soak for a while.
- Then using a wooden spatula (Since it has dulled edges), take it over the corners and peel off the softened sticker.
- Then rub vinegar over the peeled off area to get rid of the sticky residue.
- Another recipe that you can try is mixing water, rubbing alcohol (2 tsp) and eucalyptus oil and using this solution in the same manner as vinegar or olive oil.
# 4 – The Boiling Water and Peel Off Method
- Let the car sit in the sun for about half an hour before you work on it. This will soften the sticker.
- Boil some water and carefully pour it over the bumper sticker.
- The heat from the water will melt the adhesive and glue sufficiently.
- Then peel the cover off, starting at the corners and working in the opposite direction.
P.S. – Once the sticker has been done away with, you might have to clean it with a wet cloth and then use a wax or polish to buffer the area and restore the old shine.
Now that you know the different ways of removing bumper stickers, you can make sure that the sticker is done away with and the car restored to its earlier glory.