The average cost of windshield replacement is somewhere between USD 250 - USD 300. However, it depends upon the labor charges, location, purchase cost and also the time taken to complete the procedure. Another important factor, which may influence the cost of windshield replacement is the type of vehicle. The windshield replacement cost range for an SUV is somewhere around USD 150 - USD 300, whereas for a minivan, it is about USD 175 - USD 295.
For cars, it is about USD 160 - USD 325. Depending on whether you opt for an OEM, factory recommended or after market windshield glass, the price will vary. Additionally, the local labor charges for the job will also influence the cost. It is highly recommended that you go for an OEM glass windshield. For a precise cost estimate, call up your local car repair center or any authorized repair center, exclusively catering to your car manufacturer.
Windshield Replacement Procedure
- The first and foremost step in replacing the windshield is to remove parts such as wiper, mirrors, etc., which constitute a part of the entire assembly, located around the windshield.
- Fix a tape on the heating vent.
- The glass is attached to the windshield frame, with the help of a rubber gasket. Inspect the rubber gasket for damages or cracks. If damages are found, then you need to replace it too. Remove it by carefully slicing a knife through the edge of the gasket.
- Now remove the damaged glass out of the frame, by gently pushing it from inside the car.
- Attach the rubber gasket to the new windshield. See that the thicker edge of the windshield is fixed along the inner side of the glass.
- Once you fit the rubber gasket, remove the dust and rust from the dashboard and window frame. Next, a polymer based adhesive is applied into the windshield frame, in order to fix the new windshield in place.
- Apply some petroleum jelly to the outer side of the rubber gasket. Push the rubber gasket a bit and place the new windshield in place, along with the gasket. Re-attach wipers and mirrors. Let the adhesive dry for an hour and you are ready to go.
Be it a minor or a major crack, windshield replacement becomes unavoidable, when its extensively damaged. It is not practically possible to flaunt your car through the traffic, with a damaged windshield, that is actually spoiling its look!